As rabbits become pretty comfortable with their owner after some months or weeks, then they start to discover the whole house of their owner too.
Their food habit is not so complicated and we often intend to give them foods we use to have often. But their digestive system is much sensitive and can not digest every food which leads them to face critical health issues.
So before giving them food we need to think twice if the food is safe or not. Following this, we need to know can rabbits eat chives.
Can Rabbits Eat Chives?
Of course not. Rabbits can eat chives peel, leaves, roots, or flowers. This kind of herb along with onions, garlic, or any kind of food of the onion family is totally not for rabbits. They are highly toxic and poisonous for rabbit’s health.
Chives and Rabbits
Chives are kind of herbs that are familiar to onion family. it is commonly used for salad and for making a good curry. This makes our food much tastier. But can rabbits eat chives? No, they can’t eat chives at all.
Chives create strong toxicity inside the rabbit’s body. Eating chives can be a cause of acidity, stomach ache, bloating.
Why Chives are Not Safe for Rabbits?
I will just show you some ingredients of a chive contain generally then you will understand on your own.
- Dietary Fiber
Among these ingredients phosphorus, a lot of calcium, acids that a chive contains are much harmful to rabbit’s health.
You may think what about the other ingredients? As they are good for rabbits. But we can provide those ingredients from other foods. We will talk about it later in this article.
What Harm Caused by Feeding Rabbits Chives?
Chives are toxic and kind of chilly while it is tasted. Though rabbits are herbivorous but still, some specific herbs are not for eaten by rabbits. Wild rabbits also deny them to eat. Let’s see what harm a chive can create in a rabbit’s body.
- Eating chives can be a cause of stomach pain and serious anorexia which means your rabbits may lose interest in food.
- As a chive contains little acid which is actually toxic. So eating chives can be harmful to the mouth. There are chances of creating infections in the mouth area.
- Rabbit’s digestive system is kind of naive. So this kind of food runs some kind of fluids running in their stomach which creates acidity and a lot of pain.
- Bloating problems can also be created for eating chives.
Sign of Toxicity
Though if your rabbits eat a little number of chives, it won’t create any problem. But if your rabbits anyhow eat a good amount of this kind of herb.
Then you may find some unusual behavior of rabbits which is actually a sign of toxicity for eating chives.
The symptoms are:
- Snoozing for quite a long time than usual time.
- Lose of appetite. We were talking about it just a few ago.
- Start coughing.
- Grinding teeth again and again. It happens for mouth irritation.
- Their urine color may change and their poop should be seen kind of liquid which is a sign of diarrhea.
- Weakness. Your rabbits can be seen as lazy and weaker. It may try to lay much than usual.
Related Article: Can Rabbits Eat Pineapple?
What to do If Rabbits Eat Chives?
As you know if a rabbit eats chives then what happens to him and how to find out. You can just notice these symptoms.
If you find out any of the symptoms described above then rush to the doctor as soon as possible. However, these are some steps you can take at home:
- Give your rabbits some fresh grass, hay, and water.
- Try not to give them pellets for two or three days.
- Keep them in a dry and cool place.
- Try not to lift them up as long they don’t move as usual.
- Try to keep them inside of your house for a while.
- Check their dropping over and over. Make sure they don’t get diarrhea.
When Rabbits Eat Chives?
As we were saying, rabbits generally don’t eat chives. But there can be a time comes when you find out that they have eaten chives! So when do rabbits eat chives?
Hungry for a while: We can say if your rabbits stay hungry for quite a long time. They won’t be able to control their hunger and eat whatever they find.
Same food routine: Rabbits need variety in their daily meal routine. If you give the same kind of food day after day, they will try to check something new and chives are easy to find outside your house.
Just for curiosity: Rabbits are curious animals in nature. So they will just try chives just from their basic instinct.
Easy access: If your pet animal whichever it is, gets easy access to try different kinds of food, then they will surely do it. Rabbits will do the same.
What Herbs are Poisonous for Rabbits?
Let’s see some serious poisonous herbs that do harms to rabbits.
- Any kinds of Onion plants
- Potato Plant
- Wild Garlic
These herbs are common and easy to find. Still, rabbits should never eat them.
Healthy Herbs for Rabbits
Some herbs are really good for rabbit’s health and digestive system. The following herbs are safe and can be found easily to feed rabbits:
Things to Consider
Herbivorous animals will try every herbs they find on their way and that is totally normal. But not all herbs are normal and good for animal’s health.
Chives is a kind of herb which is toxic for almost every animal just not for rabbits. So you must try to keep this kind of herb away from your rabbits.
Now we know the answer of can rabbits eat chives? The answer is NO. And in this article, some other tips and important information are also given.
Try to follow them correctly and protect your rabbits from any kind of harm.